Most of us shampoo our hair without stopping to think exactly why we are doing it – it is what our mothers and their mothers before them did, so we just do it too. Understanding why you shampoo hair is important because if nothing else, it will help you choose the right shampoo brand for your hair. Here are a few reasons why it is important to wash your hair with shampoo on a regular basis.
- Have you ever stopped to think how much dirt your hair is exposed to every day? As soon as you step out of your home it starts to gather dust and other particulates and these don’t go anywhere – over time they settle deeper and deeper in and end up on your scalp. If you don’t wash your hair with shampoo on a regular basis your hair will eventually become one big ball of filth.
- Shampoo is also the best way to get rid of an accumulation of products on your hair and scalp. Most women, and some men, will use hair products to improve shine, bounce and overall appearance of their hair and these products contain chemicals and oils that settle in and make hair dull and lifeless. The only way to clean your hair of them is to shampoo it a few times a week.
- Do you have a dandruff problem that seems to never stop? Dandruff is itchy, not to mention embarrassing – you leave flakes everywhere you go, and it can even start to affect your social life. You can solve the problem by finding a shampoo that is designed to deal with dry and flaky scalp.
- Shampoo is also important for nourishing your hair. While most of the ingredients in every bottle of shampoo are designed to get rid of dirt and oils, there are some that are added to provide hair with much needed “food”. If you are not in the habit of shampooing your hair very often you should try it and see how much of a difference it makes.
- Some people avoid the use of shampoo because they have a sensitive scalp – every time they wash their hair they end up feeling itchy and may even experience redness. This is only because they are not using the right kind of shampoo. Most of the shampoos in the supermarket are not designed for sensitive scalps, but if you shop carefully you will find some brands that are formulated to deal with even the most sensitive scalp.
- Shampoo is a good way to bring life back to dull hair. If your hair doesn’t seem to respond to styling and lacks shine all it may take to make it look beautiful is a good and thorough shampoo.
One commonly asked question when it comes to shampoo is – why can’t I just wash my hair with soap? If it’s good for my skin shouldn’t it be good for my hair? Not quite; soap tends to dry out hair too much because it contains strong acids that lead to breakage. If you want truly great hair you should invest in a good shampoo.